Retainers may be removable or fixed. They hold your teeth in their new, correct positions after your teeth have been straightened by braces or another form of orthodontic treatment. Your orthodontist will instruct you on how to care for your retainer and about the duration of the wear. Wearing your retainer as directed is crucial to prevent regression of your treatment.
- Wear your essix retainer every night until Dr. Mai instructs otherwise.
- Bonded lower retainers should be flossed around every night; be careful not to pop off the glue with hard or crunchy foods
- Clean your essix retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but do not take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken, please call us immediately.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Retainer replacement is expensive; with proper care they will last for years!
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.